Solved: How do I amend my Federal 2020 return that was jus...

How do I amend my Federal 2020 return that was just accepted, with the recently received 1099-R?

A 1099-R was received after I e-filed.  The Federal E-file has been accepted by the IRS (State e-file is pending).

If you filed, it is like dropping it into the mail - you cannot get it back if accepted by the IRS or state.

To amend your 2020 tax return:

-- First, *wait* to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. DO NOT do anything until you receive the accept or reject e-mail.

The IRS will not open to accept or reject return until Feb 12, so wait.

-- If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return.

-- If accepted you should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

-- Then you can start the amend process.

It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it. That is the only proof of mailing that the IRS will accept.

-- Amended returns can be mailed or e-filed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of your amended return here but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

To amend your 2020 tax return:

Thanks for the response and guidance.  The option to amend the return appeared "after" the Federal and State returns were acceptd (Acceptance did not occur simultaneous).