Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dano989
Returning Member

How do I amend 2017 Federal Tax Return to include a 2018 Earthquake FEMA Federally Declared Disaster Loss?

Do I need to file 2018 Return with Form 4684 too? 

Can't find Section D of Form 4684 in Turbo Tax.

Can you amend 2017 in Turbo Tax, since there is no box to check for Qualified Alaska Earthquake Disaster?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

How do I amend 2017 Federal Tax Return to include a 2018 Earthquake FEMA Federally Declared Disaster Loss?

You can amend your 2017 to take the loss. In that case no 4684 for that should be in your 2018 return.

4684 Section D is not supported in Step-by-Step. You can open it in Forms Mode - click the Open Form button above the forms list on the left and scroll down to the 4684.

2017 TT will handle it. Select the This event does not qualify as a disaster casualty. That means it's not a "qualified" disaster with special treatment like the 2017 hurricanes/wildfires get. Your loss will be subject to the 10% of AGI haircut on Form 4684 line 17. Any excess loss on line 18 will be an itemized deduction on Schedule A line 20.

As you mention, prepare Form 4684 pg 4 Section D in the 2017 return (Desktop TT for Forms Mode, not Online).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

You can amend your 2017 to take the loss. In that case no 4684 for that should be in your 2018 return.

4684 Section D is not supported in Step-by-Step. You can open it in Forms Mode - click the Open Form button above the forms list on the left and scroll down to the 4684.

2017 TT will handle it. Select the This event does not qualify as a disaster casualty. That means it's not a "qualified" disaster with special treatment like the 2017 hurricanes/wildfires get. Your loss will be subject to the 10% of AGI haircut on Form 4684 line 17. Any excess loss on line 18 will be an itemized deduction on Schedule A line 20.

As you mention, prepare Form 4684 pg 4 Section D in the 2017 return (Desktop TT for Forms Mode, not Online).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies