turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daniel-j-morton
Returning Member

How do I add a state return to my 2014 filing I already filed?

I went under tax timeline. I don't want to amend my federal. It gives the option to download tax file but then it said I needed to upgrade/buy a 2016 package yet I am referring to 2014. I then began a 2016 delux but still couldn't download 2014. I checked in my download section I can't install a MAc 2014 version. Pls advise thanks. I am fine to buy any version I just want to file a 2014 state return based on my 2014 federal return. thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It miight be easier to just pull the 2014 state forms and instructions from the state's website, and do them by hand/;

You can no longer efile 2014, so it must be mailed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

It miight be easier to just pull the 2014 state forms and instructions from the state's website, and do them by hand/;

You can no longer efile 2014, so it must be mailed.

daniel-j-morton
Returning Member

Thanks but I am not concerned with efiling but completing the statement. I looked at the state forms and for NRLong form plus CA NR form for non resident and matching to US federal tax return is > 20 hours of work for a 1st timer. I want to prepare the state filing and then print.

To do that you'll need to buy the Desktop-installed 2014 software
1)....and install it on your home computer
2) start a dummy taxfile to download one free state software set for one state....should be the same state you used when you first filed for 2014 (if you prepared one with your 2014 tax file)
3) Buy any other states you need from within the software and install it.....
4) Download your .tax2014 datafile from your Online account and open that on the Desktop software, and then prepare whatever states you need.

On step #4, IF you used the "Free" version of TurboTax for 2014, you may need to purchase and upgrade of your 2016 Online tax file to "PLUS" before you can download that .tax2014 datafile.  Make sure the .tax2014 datafile is actually in that Online account timeline before you upgrade and pay for the "PLUS" version.  IF you don't want to do that, then you will have to prepare your 2014 tax file in the Desktop software from scratch to exactly-match your 2014 Federal tax file before continuing on with whatever state preparations you need to do (955 of all state date comes from the Federal section).
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies