The following will help you get to a real person with the IRS:
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
-Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
-After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
-Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. The system should then transfer you to an agent.
If the WMR site says your information does not match, it might be because you are using the wrong amount for your federal refund.
Sometimes people get confused by the “summary” given by TurboTax and use the wrong amount for the federal refund. Make sure you are only using the federal refund amount, and not an amount that combined your federal and state refunds.
Your federal refund amount is on line 20a of your Form 1040