Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can you tell if a tax return was filed? It's under previous taxes and we remember filing it but we received a IRS letter

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How can you tell if a tax return was filed? It's under previous taxes and we remember filing it but we received a IRS letter

"we remember filing it"

For what tax year?    If you think you filed, how do you think you filed--by efiling, or by printing, signing, and mailing?

If you used Online TurboTax, then when you choose that tax year in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents", what is displayed for "Return status?"

"we received an IRS letter"

Alleging what?--that you failed to file a return?     What kind of letter?--there should be a CP or LTR number in the right corner.

2017. efile via turbotax online.

on the status it says 2018 and in progress...as we had filed an extension for 2018.

cp59 is the letter. failed to file a return.

Please clarify more.   Does the IRS letter say you didn't file a 2017 return?

What is showing for "return status" for the 2017 return?

Your note above says your 2018 return is "in progress", which means you haven't yet filed 2018.

But what about 2017's return status?  Go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Expand that section and choose tax year 2017.   What does it show for "return status?"

this is what i see when i expand that area.Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 9.47.16 PM.png

when i expand my docs it lists out both extensions and returns for 2018 and 2017. 

when i expand view order details it lists out the payment of turbotax.

nowhere does it show status. 

The status in the image you posted is "started."   That means the return was not finished and filed.   There's no evidence in that image that the return was efiled.

If the PDF has your finished return, you can print it and review it.  If all is in order, you can print, date, sign, and mail it to the IRS using any instructions in your CP59 letter.   However, if anything needs to be finished or changed, you'll need 2017 desktop software.    Then you can download the *.tax2017 data file, open it and finish it in desktop software.   If you have already paid for 2017 back then, you can speak to TurboTax Support to request a free download of the software.

The 2017 return cannot be efiled with TurboTax.  It has to be printed, signed, dated, and mailed.

What about the 2017 NY state return?   Did you mail it to NY last year?   If it hasn't been filed, then that will be another task.

If you need to reach the folks at TurboTax Support, such as for the 2017 software or further assistance, here's how to contact them during business hours:

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

I meant to include this IRS info about a CP59 notice as well:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp59-notice

There may be a Form 15103 or other response form enclosed that they want you to fill out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies