haonange123456

How can I write the check with my amended federal tax return? Where should I write my SSN and "Form 1040X" on the check?

In addition, will the IRS note me after they receive my amended file?
macuser_22

You put that in the memo field on your check.

No, the IRS does not acknowledge the receipt of an amended return.  The only proof of mailing that the IRS accepts is if you mail certified (or registered) mail with return receipt or other tracking that proves delivery.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

Would that only be for a refund?  If you owe you know they got it when they cash your check.

I would write your SSN 1040X AND the year it's for on both the Front and Back of the check.
macuser_22

You know that they got it when  they cash the check - *if* they cash the check.

If lost in the mail (or lost at the IRS which happens quite often) and the check is never cashed, then without a post office tracking there is no other proof that the IRS will accept that it was ever sent at all.