Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change the name on the return?

My current return has the wife has the primary tax payer, would like to change this to the husband
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If your prior tax returns also had your wife as the primary taxpayer on the tax return, then you should keep that on your current tax return.  Changing the primary taxpayer on your tax returns will cause issues with the IRS when it filed.

However, if this is the first year of filing as Married Filing Jointly, you should clear the tax return and start over to change the primary taxpayer.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2023 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If your prior tax returns also had your wife as the primary taxpayer on the tax return, then you should keep that on your current tax return.  Changing the primary taxpayer on your tax returns will cause issues with the IRS when it filed.

However, if this is the first year of filing as Married Filing Jointly, you should clear the tax return and start over to change the primary taxpayer.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2023 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

Thank you for your quick reply.

To be clear, the only way to change spouse to match previous returns is to clear and start over?

@a1izark-gmail-co wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply.

To be clear, the only way to change spouse to match previous returns is to clear and start over?

Yes.  That is the most accurate way to change who is shown as the primary taxpayer on the tax return.

And don't transfer from 2022 if the other person was listed first as primary.  You may need ti start over in a new account.

How do I change it if I have already paid?

Already paid but not yet submitted

Yes you are stuck.  Why can't you just leave the names in this order?

Because in all previous years my husband was the primary tax payer. This is the first time I have used TurboTax and just instinctively put my name first as I was filling out the forms

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies