turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I change an incorrect social security number once filed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I assume that you told TurboTax to e-file your return, and then you discovered on the printed copy or on the PDF that someone's SS number was incorrect.. If this number were entered on the My Info section, then your return will likely be rejected when e-filing opens in a few days (note that a few returns are sent as tests, so your e-filing could happen any time between now and January 29th).

In the case of the taxpayer, spouse, and dependents, if the name and the SS number don't match what is in the Social Security Administration's database, then the e-filed return will be "rejected" by the IRS. 

If the tax return is rejected, then you have the chance to go back into the return in TurboTax, delete the bad entry, go through the rest of the My Info section so that the change is saved, and then resubmit the return to be e-filed.

It's important that you check the status of your return every day, so that if the return is rejected (as seems likely), you can fix it and refile it as quickly as possible.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jrock0911

I put the wrong nuber in my social security how can i fix it

Go to the My Info tab.

I assume that you told TurboTax to e-file your return, and then you discovered on the printed copy or on the PDF that someone's SS number was incorrect.. If this number were entered on the My Info section, then your return will likely be rejected when e-filing opens in a few days (note that a few returns are sent as tests, so your e-filing could happen any time between now and January 29th).

In the case of the taxpayer, spouse, and dependents, if the name and the SS number don't match what is in the Social Security Administration's database, then the e-filed return will be "rejected" by the IRS. 

If the tax return is rejected, then you have the chance to go back into the return in TurboTax, delete the bad entry, go through the rest of the My Info section so that the change is saved, and then resubmit the return to be e-filed.

It's important that you check the status of your return every day, so that if the return is rejected (as seems likely), you can fix it and refile it as quickly as possible.

I am in the same situation. I submitted my return and my daughter's social security number was incorrect. Do I need to do the amended return form or just correct the error and resubmit my return through turbo tax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies