turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

habidali

How can I change address on the tax return documents? I have filed an extension for my 2018 tax return; however, I have already filed the returns (but not mailed).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How can I change address on the tax return documents? I have filed an extension for my 2018 tax return; however, I have already filed the returns (but not mailed).

You wrote:   "I have already filed the returns (but not mailed)."

What does that mean??   Does that mean you efiled the returns?   Or did you want it to mean you haven't actually filed anything at all--haven't efiled and haven't printed and mailed the returns?   

If you have printed, but have not filed your return at all (haven't efiled and haven't mailed), we can tell you how to open an unfiled return back up to make changes in it prior to filing.   

If you haven't actually filed, how do you ultimately plan to file--by efile or by printing and mailing?    If you haven't filed, you can also change the filing method when you open the returns back up.   

If you recently efiled, you can't make any changes unless the efiled returns are rejected.  But we can tell you how to change your address with the IRS.

We can tell you more when you clarify what you meant and whether you have filed the returns or not.

habidali

I have printed, but have not filed my return at all (haven't efiled and haven't mailed). Can you tell me how to open an unfiled return back up to make changes in it prior to filing?

@habidali wrote:

I have printed, but have not filed my return at all (haven't efiled and haven't mailed). Can you tell me how to open an unfiled return back up to make changes in it prior to filing?

If you have not actually filed the 2018 return (have not efiled and have not filed by mail), then here's how to open your unfiled return back up to continue working on it.

• Log in and at the Tax Home go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."
  • Under 2018, look for a link "Add a State" and click. (that doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return back up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can resume working on your return to make any corrections.
  • If you make changes on the Federal side, you may need to review the screens in your State Taxes as well to be sure the changes are reflected on that side.
  • Then before filing go through the REVIEW tab to be sure all is still in order.
  • Then go through the FILE tab to choose a filing method, etc.
  • If filing by mail, it should prompt you to print the return and filing instructions.
  • If efiling, be sure you go all the way to the end to the final screen and click the button "Transmit My Returns Now".
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies