Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ez2

How and when will I know if my tax refund is offset?

So if my refund was offset last year (the entire amount was paid to dept of education), and I'm still in default, will my refund be offset again this year?? I'm currently in the process of receiving documents with the 3rd party company so I can rehabilitate my loan before it can go back to dept of education, but it's still in default. My refund status is still "accepted" as of 2/5, not "approved" yet.. but according to the calendar, DDD should be within 21 days. I also called the TOP hotline and it says my refund COULD be offset. What do you guys think??

Our guesses are not worth a thing.  If you have been told your refund is likely to be offset for student loans, then plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised if your refund appears.  You will simply have to watch the WMR site--the IRS is your only source of information.  TurboTax does not get any feedback at all regarding offsets to your refund.

Reduced Refund  

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203

NOTE: You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/who-can-garnish-an-income-tax-refund/L7cPPzDyc

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have the same issue “COULD” does not mean “will” which leaves us all in a sticky spot especially during these hard times. I was told to wait until after the 21 days if i haven’t received my return to follow up with further action however I’m still in the same boat with not knowing if they will or if they won’t 

@Msalerno914 You are posting to an old thread that was last used a year ago.  So not really sure of your issue.   If is about your refund being offset for student loans,   your federal 2020 refund will not be offset for student loans.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
bela2414

No one is getting anything taken for school loans this year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies