Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arashgoli

Hi My total refund is $1646, but I received $1532. I would like to know the reason?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Hi My total refund is $1646, but I received $1532. I would like to know the reason?

Did you choose to pay your TurboTax fees from your federal refund?    If so, remember those fees are deducted from the amount you get.

How can I see my TurboTax  fees? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, there are several reasons your refund may not be the amount you thought you were going to get.

If you requested a refund advance, or asked that your fees be paid from your refund, the your fees will be deducted from your refund. 

If you owe the bank a debt, they may have taken it from the refund. You can contact TPG customer service, follow this link for more.

If you owe the IRS back taxes, they will take it from your refund. If that is the case, the IRS will send you a letter explaining exactly how much they took and where it was applied.

Second, if you owe certain state and federal debts, you may have had a Treasury Offset to pay the debt. Click here to  contact Treasury Offset if you think that may be the case.

If you made an easily verifiable mistake on your tax return like entering a figure wrong on your W-2, the IRS may have corrected it before sending you your refund. If that is the case the IRS will send you a letter explaining the change. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
arashgoli

Yes, But fees was $64 not $114

Are you forgetting the $40 "refund processing fee?"     And state sales tax?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
arashgoli

Yes, But fees was $64 not $114

arashgoli

I thought the total fees including all was $64, "refund processing fee" is new to hear

Sorry--you must have sped right past that.  The screen told you there would be a $40 ($45 in CA) refund processing fee if you chose to pay from your federal refund.  You can avoid that extra fee if you pay upfront using a credit or debit card BEFORE you e-file. When you choose to pay from your federal refund, your refund goes first to a third party bank.  That bank takes out the amount you owe to TurboTax, collects its own $40 fee, and sends the rest of the refund to you.

What is Refund Processing Service?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies