turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the "Integrity and Verification Operations" and why did I get a letter from them?

I got letter 4464C from the IRS today... Honestly they made me feel like I did something wrong... Can some help me understand whats going on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

59 Replies

What is the "Integrity and Verification Operations" and why did I get a letter from them?

Denise9

I got this letter also :(

Did you call them? What did they say?
Denise9

They told me it was a random review. I contacted an advocate. I hope they help but im skeptical.
kmtindall

has anyone heard anything yet,,im going thru the same thing
c77mcnair

Last year (2013) I received the IVO letter 2 weeks After I received my full refund. This year I filed on 2/3, It was accepted 2/4, I received my full state refund 2/8, Yesterday 2/18 I received an IVO (the same Exact one I received Last year)the letter was dated 2/13. My WMR Still says 'processing'. I am confused on why I received the SAME letter last year & this year.... I will post any updated info as I get it.

Hi Denise...I just wanted to know if the tax advocates were able to assist you ??
Denise9

Hi Candice.. I had to send in income verification to her (the advocate). I faxed everything to her on the 11th of Feb, my transcripts updated Feb 13 from N/A. I still haven't received my refund yet. She said she would call me with an update by March 10th.  So the only change i've seen thus far after an advocate was a transcript change. Nothing else as of yet. Today makes day 35 for me.

I received the same letter didn't here from them yet I filed the January 20 accepted on 21 got letter January 27 saying its under review will here something in 60 days what should I do anybody have a phone number for me to call please help
kmtindall

call the advocates office right away,the number is on the back of the letter
Ricky11

The IRS Integrity and Verification Operations (IVO) group is delaying a number of taxpayer refunds to screen for identity theft and refund fraud.

Taxpayers identified by the program may receive a "4464C" letter from IVO stating that their tax return is being thoroughly reviewed so that the IRS can "ensure the accuracy of return information." The letter states that the IRS may contact the taxpayer or third parties for further information and that if the taxpayer does not hear from the IRS or receive his or her refund within 60 days from the date of the letter, the taxpayer may contact the IRS directly. Once the IRS has completed its review, it may send a full or partial refund or no refund. Whatever the decision, the taxpayer can appeal it.

The IRS has indicated that the letters are part of the screening program to combat stolen identity refund fraud and do not mean the taxpayer has been selected for audit. The IRS uses algorithms similar to a discriminate function system score to detect potential refund fraud. Certain characteristics — like whether the taxpayer is a first-time filer, is receiving a refund unusually larger than the one from a prior year or is receiving W-2 income unexpectedly — can trigger an alert to IVO to further investigate the taxpayer's return.

Both the IRS and the Department of Justice (DOJ) Tax Division have increased their efforts to combat stolen identity refund fraud. During an April hearing before Congress, IRS Acting Commissioner Steven Miller said the IRS had stopped 350,000 returns with a total $2.5 billion in fraudulent refunds. In September 2012, the DOJ issued Tax Division Directive 144, which is aimed at increasing cooperation between federal and state governments, and flexibility for U.S. attorneys' offices, to combat stolen identity refund fraud

I need a contact number. I was a victim of fraud for my 2014 taxes and still did not receive my tax return and I already filed my 2015 taxes.  The last letter I received from  IRS was 2 months  ago telling me I would receive my check in 4-6 weeks , still haven't gotten it.  This is ridiculous since I was the victim and being victimized again
elewis51

Yes, I need the answer to this as well.  I filed in April, received the letter and have been checking the site regularly.  The number is useless since it tells me they have a high call volume, I can check on the statue of my refund; but it doesn't tell me anything different than the site.  I don;t think I can get to a person, and eventually the recording just basically says, "ok, thanks for calling, good bye". 

Per the IRS, it can take 60 days to process these.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies