Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hey guys! So I filed my return and sent it through mail since March, but I haven’t gotten any news about my refund. What can I do?

I’ve checked IRS online, but it says that I may have input the wrong information. But I have continuously checked over and over again, still the same results. Can anyone help me please?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Hey guys! So I filed my return and sent it through mail since March, but I haven’t gotten any news about my refund. What can I do?

All you can do is wait, and be very patient. The IRS is severely backlogged this year and it is taking months to process mailed tax returns. You can check Where's My Refund? every couple of weeks to see if there is any information.

they same thing is happening to me except i filled back in january! still waiting 

anesgirl
Returning Member

@alexis2021 @laie810620 @rjs I am having exactly the same situation. I filed by mail back in March and refund tracker still says no info matched. How long should we wait for them to notify us that they RECEIVED it. i am not even talking about processing, I just want to make sure they received it :( 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@anesgirl wrote:

How long should we wait for them to notify us that they RECEIVED it. i am not even talking about processing, I just want to make sure they received it :( 

@anesgirl 

The way to know that the IRS received your mailed tax return is to send it by certified mail with a return receipt. That gives you tracking and confirmation of delivery. If you didn't do that, there is nothing you can do at this point except wait. DO NOT send another copy of your tax return.

The IRS has nearly 6 million mailed tax returns that they haven't even looked at yet. For most of those they haven't even opened the envelope, so even the IRS doesn't actually know that they have received your tax return. That's why you can't get any information. The IRS has said that they hope to clear the backlog of unprocessed returns by the end of 2022.

anesgirl
Returning Member

Yes I did that, I have the DELIVERED notice from the post office. But I do not know if they actually received and yes maybe they have not even open the envelope yet... :( Thank you

According to IRS, they are opening mail as it arrives.

Getting it recorded into the IRS system is another matter.

anesgirl
Returning Member

@fanfare so you are saying that they must have opened my return but haven't entered info as "received" yet ? I mean processing a return is a whole different matter yes but is updating the info as "received" counted as a part of processing? Is that why I find nothing on the tracker app? I am so confused with what's happening right now... I have no option but wait apparently. 

@anesgirl 

According to IRS Commissioner recently, IRS has paused entering 2021 paper returns because they don't have the manpower to keep going.  (all this is subject to change at any time).

The backlog comes first.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies