turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Has account refund from dentist

So even though I haven't put anything through the insurance yet, its still better to put it back into the HSA rather than simply not putting any claim into the dental insurance?   I asked this question in a separate question, not sure anyone would see this as a reply.  I have not received any reimbursement from the insurance because I have not put any claims through the insurance as yet.  This is the second go round for my son who did orthodontia through the same insurance company many years earlier and we reached the lifetime max at that time.  I was told by the insurance company when the orthodontist just inquired by phone, that my employer was different back then and now under the new employer the lifetime max started back to zero.  I did not know that before I paid for this orthodontist using my HSA.  Please reply.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I do not see anything that specifically states you don't have to submit a claim if you can. It shows that you cannot pay health insurance premiums with your HSA funds. And Other ineligible expenses include over-the-counter items like toothpaste, toiletries, and cosmetics, as well as most cosmetic surgeries. A vacation to a healthier climate would also not qualify.

Keep accurate records of the disbursement for these dental expenses.

@CJ631

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

@CJ631 , why would you want to throw away the money that the insurance claim would provide instead of returning the mistaken distribution to the HSA so that that HSA money could be applied to a future qualified medical expense?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies