turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cannot cancel my amendment

I Started an amendment, I followed the steps provided on the website to cancel it, but I never got to the page that asks if I like to cancel. Suddenly, it said I'm done and e1040-X is ready.

I don't wanna do an amendment and don't want anything happens. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CheriS
Intuit Alumni

Go back into your account (Your screen might be different and may appear similar to the first screenshot below) and follow the Step 2 in the FAQ instructions, where you go to Review keep selecting continue until you see: "You're Done! Print and Mail Your Returns"

• After pressing Done and you see "You did it! Your taxes are amended.", follow Step 3 in the FAQ above for canceling an amendment.
  • It will ask you "Have you already filed this amended return?". Select No and Continue
  • The next screen will ask "Do you need to change anything else?". Scroll all the way down.
  • You should see "Nevermind, I don't need to amend.". Click the Cancel button next to it. (Screenshot attached)
  • Click Done and it will then proceed with asking you if you want to delete (or remove) amendment. Click it and you should be all set.
  •  Save & Sign out. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
CheriS
Intuit Alumni

Go back into your account (Your screen might be different and may appear similar to the first screenshot below) and follow the Step 2 in the FAQ instructions, where you go to Review keep selecting continue until you see: "You're Done! Print and Mail Your Returns"

• After pressing Done and you see "You did it! Your taxes are amended.", follow Step 3 in the FAQ above for canceling an amendment.
  • It will ask you "Have you already filed this amended return?". Select No and Continue
  • The next screen will ask "Do you need to change anything else?". Scroll all the way down.
  • You should see "Nevermind, I don't need to amend.". Click the Cancel button next to it. (Screenshot attached)
  • Click Done and it will then proceed with asking you if you want to delete (or remove) amendment. Click it and you should be all set.
  •  Save & Sign out. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!!!
CheriS
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome! 🙂
Alma

The good news is even if you started an amendment, nothing will be affected permanently because you have to print and mail to file an amendment, you cannot e-file. Your original return is still the last one on file.

The following TurboTax FAQ helps outline how to cancel an amended return using TurboTax Online:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4170678

Please refer to this TurboTax FAQ if you are needing to cancel an amended return using TurboTax CD/Download Software:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4170766

in step one, there is no button to take me to my return!
(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
I already finished my tax return. It says accepted. But I started an amendment, and I wanna cancel it

when i keep selecting continue it reach to : "You're Done! Print and Mail Your Returns"!!!
then I press Done, it says: You did it! Your taxes are amended.
HElp please
Alma

Since you already filed, you need to get back into your Return to get to the part where you can undo what you've started. Start by clicking on Add a State to get you into the return from your Tax Timeline, then go on to step three outlined in the instructions about and click on the Federal Tab and continue on through the steps. See if this helps.

where is "Add a State"

where is "Add a State", this is so confusing :(

can anyone help with this problem please...
Alma

In your Tax Timeline, under Some things you can Do for your 2016 section, you will see Add a State as a blue link you can click on

Unfortunately, It is not helping :( I found the Add a State, but again I dont see the "No, I don't need to amend".
Is there any phone number that I ca call for help or see what is going on?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies