Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

auntsoup66
Returning Member

Getting a message that I cannot e-file a 2023 1040X amended return because I didn't e-file the 1040 --

I have to do an amended 2023 return because I entered social security amounts incorrectly. After I completed e-amended return, I was hoping to e-file.  However TurboTax had a message that e-filing wasn't allowed for the 1040X because the 1040 wasn't e-filed. This is incorrect -- I e-filed the 1040 and received confirmation that it was accepted. The message also indicated that the amended return could only be send in by mail --

Anyone else have this issue?  Is there anything to do about it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Getting a message that I cannot e-file a 2023 1040X amended return because I didn't e-file the 1040 --

Are you in the Online version or the Desktop program?  When did you file the original return?  Log out and they say to clear your cache and cookies then try again.  

auntsoup66
Returning Member

I am using the Desktop version.  I filed back in March 2023.  thanks I'll try clearing the cache and cookies.

For the Desktop program you might need to update the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save you return and close & open the program and try again.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you prepare the amendment using the original tax file that was e-filed?   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
auntsoup66
Returning Member

wrong date for filing -- the correct date I e-filed was March 2024. Tried clearing the cache and cookies.  Also went to electronic filing in the upper left hand corner and clicked on "Check e-file status". then closed TT and opened again.

Sadly none of these actions helped -- still getting the same message about having not e-filed the 1040 so cannot e-file.

Maybe will need to send in by mail.

Thank you for your help.

auntsoup66
Returning Member

Yes I used the same Turbo Tax program for the initial e-filing of the 1040 and for the amended version for 2023.

Perhaps I'll just have to send in by mail, unless there are other suggestions --(see my reply above with the things that I tried.  Anything else?

Thanks for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies