Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I get Tax Topic 152 on WMR, followed by Tax Topic 203 (offset)?

So I'm concerned my refund will be offset. It was last year, due to student loans, but I've made efforts to rehabilitate them. Last year I was immediately hit with Tax Topic 203. This year, however, I've got 152. I filed on the 19th and have already received my state refund. My question is, does 152 mean I'll more than likely be getting my refund? Or is it likely it'll just be followed by a 203?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

It depends. Normally, if your refund is going to be offset due to Student Loans, the Financial Management Service (FMS) will send you notification of the proposed seizure of your refund in advance.  It is definitely a more positive sign to see Tax Topic 152 as opposed to Tax Topic 203 on WMR, but it is not a guarantee that your refund will not be offset.

I would suggest you can contact FMS at 1-800-304-3107 to check and see if you have any potential refund offsets on record so that you will know for sure.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

It depends. Normally, if your refund is going to be offset due to Student Loans, the Financial Management Service (FMS) will send you notification of the proposed seizure of your refund in advance.  It is definitely a more positive sign to see Tax Topic 152 as opposed to Tax Topic 203 on WMR, but it is not a guarantee that your refund will not be offset.

I would suggest you can contact FMS at 1-800-304-3107 to check and see if you have any potential refund offsets on record so that you will know for sure.

Thank you! I called yesterday, and the only offset that showed up was last year's amount. I assumed, like you said, that if it was going to be offset this year I'd already be notified/it would tell me on the hotline since I've filed already and have an estimated amount. Of course, it could always change so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You are welcome!  Like you said, don't get your hopes up but keep your fingers crossed!

I called again just now, and still the only offset showing up is last year's. Do you think that's a good sign?

I have a tax topic 203 but got my taxes laat year but not the year before. Called fms and its not reporting any offsets why would that be?

Same here. TT 203. I called offset hotline numerous of times and it's said my last year's offset. Got my DDD and tax topic 203 & I immediately called the offset hotline back and it was now saying no offset....... But it clearly shows full refund amount on WMR and TT 203

Our says the same thing. My student loans are in good standing though it never went into default but wmr is showing ddfeb22 and tax topic 203, called the offset number for me and my husband still nothing, give updates please if you guys get yours.

Ok. I still haven't received mines. DDD 22nd going through Santa Barbara first. But they haven't received it yet.

Lobaby9o3... did you get your refund yet?

Naw. Waiting on Santa Barbara to open. It still says they haven't even received my refund yet

I’m in the same boat. I still haven’t gotten an update through sbtpg and I’ve called the treasury hotline and it gives me the run around to call IRS and it’s frustrating because I can not get a hold of a live agent! As to IRS, they told me I had to call the treasury. My ddd was the 2/22 and still nothing.

Any update

FYI, if you are calling AFTER you get the code 203, the offset has already been taken care of because your refund was already processed. That's why it say no offsets found. The offset line should be called while your refund is still being processed or sooner. A 203 will not pop up til you are on the 2nd bar (approved). Know from experience...
aaronfown

Not true my loan will be paid off after this offset.  I have a 203 code and the bus still shows a offset.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies