Future Updates Affecting Previously Filed Returns

flbarndt

It is March 14th and I am ready to E-File my Federal and Arizona tax returns. What is a good rule of thumb to use to know when is it safe to file these returns and know that future TurboTax updates will not change the information which I submitted? Normally I file my returns on March 31st figuring that by this time all critical updates should be done. Thanks for the help!

AmyC

With the federal government changing the rules, some of the states are now changing rules to match or enhance. The software all needs to be updated by the IRS before we can update. If none of those changes affected you, this may be a good time to file before there are technical issues with the new stuff.

Some brokerages are issuing corrected 1099s, always good to make sure you don't have something unexpected coming your way.

flbarndt

TurboTax installed new updates dated March 10th when I opened TurboTax the other day. My financial planner also said no updated 1099s were coming so I filed my taxes yesterday.