turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nellie

Found a mistake after filing, wrong EIN number placed on my filing of 1040 for 2017 and 2016, what can I do.

My business EIN number that I placed on my 1040 is wrong. how can I fix it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Found a mistake after filing, wrong EIN number placed on my filing of 1040 for 2017 and 2016, what can I do.

If this is on a Sch C which is part of your personal form 1040 then that doesn't need to be fixed since is was not a required entry to start with.
Carl
Level 15

The only way I can see that it would cause an issue, is when the IRS processes the return and the EIN entered does not match up with the SSN reported in the personal info section of the return. More than likely, the IRS will just fix it on their end and not bother you.
But where it could matter is this: Did you make any quarterly tax payments using your correct EIN instead of your SSN? If so, how did you make those payments? Via U.S. Mail, or online?
nellie

I make quarterly payments to comptrollers office online
Thank you both for your reply
Carl
Level 15

Okay, but did you make those payments using the business EIN (and the correct one?) or your SSN? Also, your statement of "to the comptrollers office" does not sound like a payment of federal taxes to me. Sounds more like a payment of state taxes, county/city/town taxes or something like that. If so, those payment have nothing to do with your federal taxes. Federal quarterly payments are made to the IRS - not any "comptroller's office".

Hi Critter and Carl, I made the same mistake as Nellie, except I am an LLC, so wonder if your advice applies to me as well.  I entered the wrong EIN # (off by one digit) on my LLC's Schedule C attached to my personal 1040.  I am a single member LLC with no employees and all taxes were paid under my SSN.  I only made this error on my Schedule C's (for several years) and the IRS never contacted me about the error.  Does your advice hold that it doesn't need to be fixed?  Should I just not enter my EIN on my next returns? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies