Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form CP81 - Need to Resend Paper Tax Return Mailed Originally

Hello,

I filed my tax return late, and 8 months later, (June 2021) the IRS has sent me a note that I have a credit on my account for that Tax Return year, but that they don't see my tax return and to please "send a newly signed copy" to the address.

My concern comes with the phrase "newly signed copy" because of the fact that we owed a substantial amount of money ($15K, including all the penalties and interest), which were paid in full on the date we mailed it. This amount does show up online in our Tax Account.  And we have proof of the mailing and receipt of it via USPS.

My Question:

Can I resend this tax return with the ORIGINAL SIGNED DATE versus a NEWLY SIGNED DATE or send the exact copy of the original return?

I know I can always provide them with the original proof of tracking receipt, but I'd like to leave less room for error, with the original signed date of the return.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Since you have a credit on your account it seems that they got your payment but lost track of your return. Do as they ask and send a newly signed return. 

Hi there .. thank you for your help!

My return was one of the 7 Million that was sent when they were referring all their mail to storage holds in container trucks.  As of January, they were still 2 Million behind on these.

So I'm sure it will eventually rise to the surface.  Another one mailed that same week has been processed.  This one that was processed, has a balance due, that I need to set up a payment plan, but payment plan won't be approved until all returns are received, and this is the one holding up my request for that.

Letter says:
"if you have already filed this return, please send a newly-signed copy to the address shown above."

They do have my payment, as you mentioned, because I made it online.  I paid online as I printed it. Then signed it and took it to the USPS the next morning, while the payment was processing.

Send with Current Date or Original Date?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies