ekepferucf

Form 8949 says that it needs to be mailed (see attachment) however the information included on my return is negligible ($10). Do I still need to print and mail?

EdwardK

We are unable to view most attachments.

However, if you are able to successfully e-file your tax return(s) and you entered summarized information for Form 1099-B and they are Accepted, you may complete, print and mail Form 8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return and a copy of Form 1099-B. If you entered a summary in lieu of individual transactions, TurboTax should have already e-filed both Schedule D and Form 8949 with summarized information. You may verify what was e-filed by reviewing your tax return(s): How do I get a copy of a return I filed in TurboTax Online? Even if the total net amount is negligible, the detailed transactions may not be. Please review the following for more information:

Mailing Instructions

Per Form 8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return,

The last box says, "Form 8949, Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets (or a statement with the same information), if you elect not to report your transactions electronically on Form 8949."

Thus, you may complete (TurboTax may automatically complete), print and mail Form 8453 and a copy of Form 1099-B. See "When and Where To File" on Form 8453 Page 2.

Here's how to mail your statements:

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return to:

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254 

If you are not e-filing, then mail your statements with your entire tax return to your local IRS office. (Where to File Paper Tax Returns With or Without a Payment)

EdwardK

We are unable to view most attachments.

Mailing Instructions

Here's how to mail your statements:

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254