Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

kps231

Form 8915F-T for TY 2022 filing in 2023 -recent post

When running a smart check, I get the following:

Check This Entry

Form 8915F-T: Your indicated there were retirement distributions received in 2022 related to a

Disaster that occurred in 2021 or 2022.  It requires Part 1 of Form 8915F-T has not been finalized yet.  Do not file the return until this part of calculation is finalized in an upcoming release.

Comments and Questions:

• Comment- I did not receive a distribution related to a disaster.  The prompt, “was this withdrawal due to a 2021 or 2022 disaster?”  The answer is NO.  The prompt is defaulted to the YES response.  I cannot reply NO.
  • Question- How do I override the system so I can provide the correct response – NO?
  • Question- when will the Part 1 of Form 8915F-T calculations be finalized?
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is a workaround provided by expert DanaB27 that is working-  

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Try both options if necessary. 

Please try these steps to fix the issue: 

1. Login to your TurboTax Account  
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”   
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”  
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R, answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R, then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R, click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info ” screen) 
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen 
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?" 
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue 
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen, I selected the blank entry and clicked "back 
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020, check here" and continue. 

Another option is to delete "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information: 

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax. 
  2. Select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools" in the left menu. 
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form". 
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions. 
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”   
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”  
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R, answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R, then enter all 1099-R, and after entering your last 1099-R, click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info ” screen) 
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen 
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?" 
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020, check here" and enter your information. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
clcox3906

Thank you so much! I was losing my mind over this! 

Not a tax expert. I did find that in order to change a form i had to first change a worksheet. Now I can change the amount and it is accepted in the error check. The more problematic issue is whether the calculations are correct. I took a distribution due to Covid but some of that was from a Roth and some had taxes withheld at the time of distribution. What’s the correct amount of tax when it is spread over 3 years?  Last year Turbo Tax doubled what I was paid from a pension fund but even so, the tax difference shouldn’t be that great. 

if this is the fault of the IRS then I suspect it could take years to fix. I’m not sure how the IRS has anything to do with over inserted duplicate incomes in my tax return. Maybe TurboTax has been hacked and they just don’t know it yet! The IRS does state that they received my payment last year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies