Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forgot to add a w2

I just filed a few hours ago, but another w2 just came in the mail, how do I add it?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
Heather14

Forgot to add a w2

If you have already filed your return, you'll need to wait for your tax return to either be rejected or accepted, if it is rejected you can add your Form W-2, correct any other errors on the return and resubmit it. If it is accepted, you will need to amend your return to include the Form W-2. You can not e-file an amended return as this cannot be filed electronically.  The form is only filed on paper, so it will need to be printed and filed by mail. 

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your 2016 tax return in TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

ac9

Forgot to add a w2

Need to add another w2

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Forgot to add a w2

If you have already filed you will need to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes and re-submit your return.  If the IRS accepts your return, you MUST wait until it has been fully processed and you receive your refund or have paid your balance due.  You will need to prepare an amended tax return on a 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes about 16 weeks for the IRS to process an amended return. In the meanwhile, DO NOT go in and make any changes to your return. 3 weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site. Instructions can be found here:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5114064

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Meg420

Forgot to add a w2

I completed one w2. And then added a second w2. Are both of my w2's filed? How can I find out is only one has been filed? I went through the process for both but ithink it's only showing one refund on the app. 

Forgot to add a w2

Well you only get 1 refund on your tax return for all your income. What do you mean you completed one W2? Did you file and submit your return after the first one?  Did you go all the way to the end though the 3 steps and hit the big orange Transmit Returns Now button after the first one?  You have to file all your income on the same tax return.  

Usually entering more than 1 W2 will reduce your refund.  You entered more income but each job only took out withholding for that 1 job.  But you are taxed on the total income for the year.  So you may not have enough withholding taken out to cover the combined income.  

Ddayne20

Forgot to add a w2

Aw I already efiled. I just received another w2 February 5th.. smh 

Forgot to add a w2

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Forgot to add a w2

To add that additional W-2, you will need to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return.

If accepted, you you will need to amend your return.  This should be done after the IRS issues any applicable refunds.  Refer to the following TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your tax return:  How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? - Community

If your tax return is rejected, you can revisit your return to fix whatever caused the rejection.  At this time, you can also add the additional W-2.  How do I fix a rejected return? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Juang98

Forgot to add a w2

I just filed my taxes last week and another w2 came in, how do I add my w2 on turbo tax?

Forgot to add a w2

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. Which won't be until Feb 12 this year. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it. Click on Add a State to let you back into your return..

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

jonessr8
Returning Member

Forgot to add a w2

can i go back and add it now

Forgot to add a w2

If you already filed then same answer as above.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies