jrpilcher

Forgot to add 2020 unemployment to return. Do I need to amend (and if yes, when can I)?

I forgot to include my 2020 unemployment benefits on my return.  I know the IRS says they will automatically figure out the difference for people who filed before the unemployment tax break was announced, and to not amend, but the wording implies that is for people that included unemployment, before the change.  I have not been able to find any information on what I should do since I didn't include it in my initial return, and it won't let me amend right now.

CatinaT1

Was your unemployment amount under the $10,200 exclusion?  Did you have any withholdings from your unemployment?  If it under the exclusion amount and you had no withholdings, I would do nothing.  If you had withholdings, I would amend.  It is undetermined when you will be able to do this yet.

CatinaT1