Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Damaramu

Filed taxes, but I rushed and forgot to include a W2. IRS already accepted my return and issued my refund to another govt. agency I owed money to...

OK, I was in a rush to get my taxes done early. I had worked for 2 different agencies in '22 as a W2 contractor. I filed my taxes, the IRS accepted it and has already dispersed my return to the HUD where I owed some money. Easy peasy except....yesterday, I receieved a W2 from an old job I had prior to the 2 W2 contractor positions. Apparently, I had worked for this 3rd company for a few weeks back in Janurary '22 and had completely forgotten about it until this W2 arrived.

What do I do now? The IRS accepted my return as-is, issued a refund and sent it to another govt. agency. Surely they're aware of this other W2/job? I'm not sure what to do since they already processed and issued the refund. Do I still fill out a 1040X form to amend my return? Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Filed taxes, but I rushed and forgot to include a W2. IRS already accepted my return and issued my refund to another govt. agency I owed money to...

You can review the transcript of your filed return with the IRS to see if the income matches what you filed or if it includes the additional W2.  See How do I get a copy of my tax return or transcript from the IRS?  Once you have verified the amount of your return that was accepted, you can determine if you need to amend your return.

If you need to amend your return in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps after 02/16/2023 when the form is available:

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. On the home screen, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select the year you want to amend
  3. Select Amend (change) return, then Amend using TurboTax Online
    • If you're told to amend your return via TurboTax Desktop, follow the steps for TurboTax CD/Download below instead
  4. On the screen OK, let's get a kickstart on your amended return, select the reason(s) you're amending and Continue
  5. When you reach Here's the info for your amended federal return, select Start next to the info you need to change
  6. Continue through the screens, make the changes you need to make, and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return

@Damaramu

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.  The IRS does not allow you to take it back.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

The Form 1040X you need will not be available until late February.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Damaramu

OK, but the IRS has already accepted my return and I received a letter stating that my refund was already diverted to another agency (HUD) to pay that balance owed.

Did the IRS already catch my error? Will I still need to amend my return with a 1040X even though the IRS already accepted the original return and issued my refund to the HUD?

No one in the user forum has a way to know if the IRS caught your error.  TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS after you file your tax return.   The IRS does receive W-2's from employers.....so eventually they will be looking for the W-2 that you omitted from your return.  It would be better to amend sooner instead of waiting for a nasty letter from them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You can review the transcript of your filed return with the IRS to see if the income matches what you filed or if it includes the additional W2.  See How do I get a copy of my tax return or transcript from the IRS?  Once you have verified the amount of your return that was accepted, you can determine if you need to amend your return.

If you need to amend your return in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps after 02/16/2023 when the form is available:

1. Sign in to TurboTax
  2. On the home screen, scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select the year you want to amend
  3. Select Amend (change) return, then Amend using TurboTax Online
    • If you're told to amend your return via TurboTax Desktop, follow the steps for TurboTax CD/Download below instead
  4. On the screen OK, let's get a kickstart on your amended return, select the reason(s) you're amending and Continue
  5. When you reach Here's the info for your amended federal return, select Start next to the info you need to change
  6. Continue through the screens, make the changes you need to make, and carefully answer the remaining questions to finish amending your return

@Damaramu

Damaramu

Awesome! Thank you, @AliciaP1 

Did Turbotax fix my rejected 2023 return? The word SOLVED is now next to it.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Did you receive an email from Turbo Tax stating that your return was rejected? if so, did you personally follow these steps to fix it? You may check your current e-file status here @lvhopkins19.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies