Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed taxes already and corrected a 401K over-contrib. Employer now says they cant process payout by 4/15. Do i need to file an extension now? What is proper action?

I filed already correcting for the 401K over-contribution just like turbo tax instructed.

Now employer is saying they cannot guarantee that the funds will be withdrawn from the 401K account before the end of the day today.

Do I need to file an extension?  Am I doomed to be double taxed?  What is the proper course of action at this point?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Filed taxes already and corrected a 401K over-contrib. Employer now says they cant process payout by 4/15. Do i need to file an extension now? What is proper action?

No, if you already filed you do not need to file an extension.  Unfortunately, you will be double taxed on the over-contribution to your 401(K), once on your 2018 Tax Return and again when you withdraw the money in the future.

If you already included the over contribution as wages on your 2018 Tax Return, there is no other action you need to take.

For more information, you can check out IRS Pub 525:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf.

Yes, I already included the over contribution as “other income” on my 2018 tax return.  To confirm, it’s okay to file the over contributor as “other income” even though 401k funds can’t be withdrawn in time? Also if they don’t withdraw it in time, how do I report this on the 2019 tax return since I already reported it as other income on this years tax return? Thanks
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Yes, the over contribution needs to be reported on your 2018 Tax Return regardless of whether you are able to withdraw it.  If it is not withdrawn by 4/15, you don't need to report anything on your 2019 Tax Return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies