Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NanSun
Returning Member

Filed my 1040 on 2024/23 with TurboTax. Need to e-file amendment but system says I didn't use TurboTax, which is wrong. Can't e-file, don't want to mail. Please help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Filed my 1040 on 2024/23 with TurboTax. Need to e-file amendment but system says I didn't use TurboTax, which is wrong. Can't e-file, don't want to mail. Please help!

You have to start from the 2023 return that you filed -- using the exact account and user ID that you used when you prepared your original 2023 return.  Do not amend until the original return has been fully processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

Do not expect quick results from amending. It can take four months or more for the IRS to process an amended return.  

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

You have to access your own account and/or  print it for yourself using exactly the same account and user ID that you used when you prepared the return.

Many people have multiple TT accounts and forget how to access them.  Log out of the account you are in now.

Account Recovery

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535-forgot-your-turbotax-online-user-id-or-password

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901486-how-many-turbotax-accounts-do-i-have

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
NanSun
Returning Member

Dear,

I submitted this request in writing to support: "Filed my 1040 on 2024/23 with TurboTax. Need to e-file amendment, but system says I didn't use TurboTax, which is wrong. Can't e-file, don't want to mail. Please help!"
I also received written instructions via the support forum page, but those did not resolve the issue either. I then contacted TurboTax online support. The support person remotely accessed my computer and instructed me through various alternatives. We installed, uninstalled, and re-downloaded the TurboTax 2023/24 software, but the system continued to not allow me to submit my 1040X (Amendment), as it stated I did not file my 1040 via the TurboTax software, which is incorrect.
In other words, this is a major software issue, and support could not assist me since the problem is not an operational or accounting error. It is a substantial error from whoever developed the TurboTax 2023/24 program. Only the systems development support team or the IT department would be able to resolve this.
I have been waiting for several days, but have not received any response from anyone at TurboTax. Since I cannot delay filing my amendment as the IRS will not accept the excuse of a systems' error, I am left with no choice but to print and mail my 1040X. It is unfortunate that despite advertising itself as the best tax preparation software, TurboTax lacks efficient customer service.
As a client of over 6 years, I am disappointed with this entire situation. Completing tax returns is already a stressful task, compounded by needing to file an amendment and now a systems issue that no one from the IT department has even acknowledged. It is very frustrating to feel unsupported by a company you trusted to alleviate stress.

So you used the Desktop installed program?  Try this.....

You first need to check the filing status inside the program so it knows it was filed and accepted.  Open your return and go up to the top black menu bar first item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return and close it.  Close the program and reopen it.  

What year are you amending?  Your 2023 return?  You should be able to efile 2023 amended return.  But you can not efile a prior year amended return from the Desktop program.  

NanSun
Returning Member

I did exactly everything you told me to, and on the day I also did everything the support person told me to, that is, she accompanied me online step by step, looking at and reviewing everything in the system. It's 2024, I'm doing the 2023 amendment, and my 1040 was accepted and sent within the dates allowed by the IRS, that is, on time. And I received confirmation from the IRS that it was accepted, otherwise I wouldn't be able to make any changes to my 1040 submitted on my desktop to amend my 1040X. I will attach some screenshots here so you can see that I did as you instructed, and it is a systems' error, and I am left in the dark when using the Turbotax software on my tax return.

s1.png

s2.png

s3.png

s4.png

s5.png

s6.png

Because millions of users have amended successfully, this appears to be a problem with your computer and not something that requires a software change.  Perhaps this would work for you on another computer or perhaps the download or CD that you used to install was defective.  Did you purchase your software through TurboTax?

If you purchased from TurboTax, ask to have support send you a new copy of your program.  Completely uninstall your software and install a copy from TurboTax.  If you still get the error than your only option is to print and mail the amendment.

NanSun
Returning Member

As I informed you earlier, the support staff accessed my computer, and we did it step by step, we uninstalled it, we downloaded a version directly from TurboTax's servers as if we were buying a new package with a new serial number, I uninstalled the entire previous version, I installed everything again in the downloaded software, we made several attempts, and the same error always continued.

Thank you !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies