file for an extension or amend?
I have a small share in a partnership, that sends me each year a K1 Schedule for my taxes. They are always late and I have to wait for them until I can finally do my taxes. This year they are telling me that they are still waiting for some tax credit from the IRS and they themselves will file for an extension and do complete their taxes later. That means I won't get my K1 until after April . So what is my best approach?
do I file for an extension myself and wait to do my tax return later this summer?
or should I do taxes now, get my refund (likely) and then file an amendment with the K1 later this summer, (and probably have to pay some taxes then) ?
what are the pros and cons or do I even have a choic