turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal e-filing rejected for duplicate W-2s -- but the W-2s are similar but one is for me and one for my wife

In reply to "it's not a Turbo Tax problem - but IRS"   Maybe so, but T-T should know about (seems common) and provide a solution rather than just state duplicate on the email they send about Rejected Return.   

Federal e-filing rejected for duplicate W-2s -- but the W-2s are similar but one is for me and one for my wife

I changed the amount on the Turbo Tax for one of my 1099Rs that they rejected for habing a duplicate.  I resubmitted and got a reply that the IRS had accepted it.  But will wait to see if they later reject it. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@clevelandmb Once the IRS has accepted your return, then they process it. Computers will cross check things and the forms within an accepted variance go right through. There should not be an issue.

The IRS software will note the owner of the form in the processing portion. The IRS does not do that for the acceptance stage. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Maybe I should try this. I got denied for same thing. But I don’t have duplicates at all no wife with same w2 nothing. I just had 3 different jobs with 3 DIFFERENT w2,s. I think it’s TurboTax themselves messing stuff up. When I called turbo tax was lost for the reason I got rejected. This is my 4th year in a row with turbo tax messing something up

Dlindor25

@Eddie62189  The same thing happened to me. How were you able to resolve it? I have 3 different w2s with different incomes on each. 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do you have 3 different W-2's for yourself or for you and your spouse?   If it is just you, then you need to contact your employer to get a corrected W-2 that reports all of your income instead of 3 of them.  

Are one of them a W-2C?  If so, you will enter the W-2C instead of whichever W-2 it is correcting.  

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do you have 3 different W-2's for yourself or for you and your spouse?   If it is just you, then you need to contact your employer to get a corrected W-2 that reports all of your income instead of 3 of them.  

Are one of them a W-2C?  If so, you will enter the W-2C instead of whichever W-2 it is correcting.  

Dlindor25

@Vanessa A Hi! I had 3 different jobs at different companies. Just me. 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you had three different jobs with three different companies, you will just enter each W-2 separately.  After you enter the first one you will get to a screen that says You W-2 info so far, then under your W-2 you will see Add a another W-2.  Click that screen and enter your next W-2, repeat for the third W-2.  

Both my Federal and NJ state tax returns were rejected for duplicate W2's. I went back into the W2 section and there was only on W2 for my wife and it was fine. After investigation, and looking through a bunch of TT stuff, it turns out that on the W2 in box 17 it had the state taxes that were taken out but it also had $45.83 of FLI. Because it was in box 17 that is where I entered it. After the investigation it states for NJ residencies if you have Family Leave Insurance in box 15-17 you'll need to remove it from those boxes and enter it into box 14. I looked at the state worksheet and it did have the salary for NJ in there twice as if it was a second state. I removed the FLI from box 17 and put it into box 14 and went back and checked the state worksheet and, yep, it removed the second state wages. Resubmitted both Federal and State returns and they were accepted.

Although I found the answer myself, buried in TT information, I believe that TT should either prompt you with a message stating that "it seems you have two states with the same wages is this correct?" or not tell you that the final review has no errors and go ahead and efile.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies