Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsarambo
Returning Member

Federal and State Rejected

My Federal return was rejected because my daughter was showing as a dependent after she filed her taxes claiming no one could claim her as a dependent.  Subsequently, my state (NJ) taxes were rejected because the Federal taxes were rejected.  I have remedied the problem, but how do I re-file ( I e filed using Turbo Tax software I purchased at Costco,i.e. disk), and also, how do I pay the taxes due since they went up and I already processed my credit card payment for both federal and state?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You have no way to e-file this year.  Your returns will have to be filed by mail.  Even if your child amends it will never catch up in the system to let you e-file this year.  

Print, sign and date your returns in ink, and mail them in.

You can pay your tax due by several methods:

If you have federal tax due you can pay by mailing your payment with the 1040V voucher, (which has the address printed on it, having the payment taken out of a designated bank account, or you can pay directly on the IRS website. 

https://www.irs.gov/payments

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-can-i-pay-my-federal-taxes/00/26212

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-pay-my-irs-tax-due-with-a-check-or-mone... 

To apply for a payment plan with the IRS

Apply Online for a Payment Plan

You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.  For most states that will be by making a payment to the state’s own tax website, or by mailing a check or money order.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900884-what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-for-pay...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jsarambo
Returning Member

Thank you for your response.  The remedy for the error was not to change my daughter's return but to change mine so that she shows as a non dependent like my two sons. I have, however, already filed and the original tax amounts owed on both my federal and state returns are showing as pending charges on my credit card. Should I just calculate the difference and pay that?  Also, Turbo Tax processed the Federal payment via a third party.  Will they charge the whole amount on the re file and cancel the first charge or how will that work?  NJ required me to make the payment online on their website. I suppose I can just go to the same page and apply a payment for the difference to my 2022 state taxes.

@jsarambo I am now dizzy from this.   What do you think you mean when you say "she shows as a non-dependent?"   If you decided not to claim your daughter, you should not have her on the return at all.   

" I have, however, already filed"....

Did you amend your return using a 1040X?  Or just change something on the original return?   Is she listed on the Form 1040?   Or on 1040X--whichever you are telling us about?

TurboTax does not "process" payments to the IRS or state.  TT only passes your information along to the IRS or state.  Assume the IRS and state will take out the amount you indicated originally when you filed the first return.  Amended returns  (if in fact you filed one) take months to process.    If you now owe an additional amount to the IRS or state you will need to take care of paying those amounts separately.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jsarambo
Returning Member

I e-filed this morning and used TT to process a credit card payment for the taxes owed on my Federal return. My Federal return was rejected because while my two sons have a Nondependent status, my daughter still had a dependent status until I changed the answer to the question, "Did she make more than $4400.00 this year" to Yes.  Now she shows Nondependent status.  I don't know why TT continues to carry them over from prior years, but they do.  I guess I could delete them.  So, after correcting the error on my return, I was concerned that the pending credit card payment made this morning might go through, in addition, to the payment made after the correction.  After filing the corrected return, the earlier payment to my card was immediately returned and the new payment is now pending.  As for the state, I went back to the NJ IRS page that I made the initial payment on this morning and applied the difference in a new payment.  As I write this, my Federal return has ben accepted which should, in turn, bode well for my State return.  Thank you for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies