Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FYI

Extension filed by my accountant after I submitted my tax return from Turbotax

I did my tax this year by myself through Turbotax. But there was a miscommunication between my accountant and me. She filed extension on my behalf after I got mine done at Turbotax. It seems that the extension once filed cannot be withdrawn. 

The Federal tax return was deposited to my checking account 2 weeks ago, nothing from the NY State yet. Then my checking account was withdrawn from Federal (shown as IRS USATAXPYMT) for $200 and NY State (NYS DTF PIT Tax Payment) for $400. I think they are the estimated taxes for the extension.

What should I do now? Many thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

right now do nothing. it would likely make matters worse.  hopefully, the IRS and state will see that your account with them is overpaid and automatically make a refund. as a pure guess this could take 6 months. so be patient. if you don't get the refund by then you'll need to call. this may take multiple attempts with the IRS - too few agents to handle the too many calls.   before calling make sure to have all documentation handy. this would include copies of the front and back of any checks that were used to make payments, credit card statements, etc.

FYI

Thanks for the reply.

With the extension on file, would my NY state return e-submitted from Turbotax still be processed?

I'm afraid they'd see my state tax return as not being filed and leave a record. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies