Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ultrasoul
Returning Member

Error when e-filing Amended 2022 Tax Return (Intuit E-File Server rejecting 1040-X e-file data after Oct 31 2023)

E-filed my 2022 tax return with Turbotax Desktop version back in Jan 2023. IRS accepted the 1040 e-file without any issues.

A year later now in 2024, I have to do an amendment to my previously e-filed 2022 tax return. After succesfully updating the 2022 Premier Desktop application to the lastest version, I was able to make the necessary amendmends all the way to very last step.

However after clicking the orange button to "Transmit your Return", I get a pop-up message a few seconds later an error response message from Intuit's e-file servers that "The Intuit Electronic Filing Center is closed for the 2022 Personal Income Tax filing season. October 31 2023 was the last day to file your returns electronically. Please file your return by mail" (see screenshot below).

turbotax 3.jpg

This does not make sense as I am not transmitting a regular tax return but an amended tax return that should be accepted by Intuit's servers after October 31 2023.

In fact, at the E-filing menu, the desktop software clearly recognizes that I'm sending a 1040-X e-file data- "Here are the returns you're amending - E-file my federal amended return now"  (see screenshot below)

turbotax 1.jpg

The issue to me seems to be a Intuit server side error where it is not accepting the transmitted 1040-X electronic e-file data being sent from my computer.

My guess is that the Intuit efiling server was not updated to correctly to accept 1040-X e-file data after Oct 31, 2023, especially I would assume not many people have done an amended tax return after Oct 31 with the Thanksgiving and Christmas hohlidays.

Unsurprisingly, this error of Intuit's E-file server rejecting 1040-X data transmitted by my Desktop version applies to Federal only, State only, or both Federal and State.

turbotax 2.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Error when e-filing Amended 2022 Tax Return (Intuit E-File Server rejecting 1040-X e-file data after Oct 31 2023)

The IRS has closed efiling for anyone until January 29, 2024.  You will probably have to print and mail your amendment.

You can wait and try to efile after Jan 29 but we don't know for sure if Turbo Tax will let you efile prior year amended returns.   You probably have to print and mail it.  

TT doesn't support efiling of prior year returns or amended returns once the season for that tax year has closed.  In the FILE tab choose to mail in the return and the proper forms & mailing instructions will be presented.  Bottom line only the 2023 returns will be allowed to be efiled once the IRS opens the filing season for the 2023 returns later this month. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies