Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Electronic Filing Instructions Incorrect (Mac Desktop Version)

I used TT Premier on the Mac desktop.  I owed taxes.  Told TT to debit from my checking account on April 8th.  Yes, I understand the IRS is behind and have not done this yet.  Fine.

Page 1 of the PDF file generated by TT has a section for Balance Due/Refund.  It has a similar summary cover page for my State Taxes which is correct (shows account/routing number, amount, date).

For Federal, it only shows:

Balance Due/ Refund

"Your federal tax return (Form 1040) shows a balance due of $. Mail your completed Form 1040-V with included payment made payable to the | United States Treasury by May 17, 2021. Make sure you sign your check and write your social security number and "Form 1040-V" on the check."

That is an exact copy of the text.  "$."  And my return has no 1040-V.  Now, if the IRS had already taken the money from my account I wouldn't sweat this and be fine.  Since the IRS has broken systems, I am concerned about this TT bug.  See, if the IRS comes to me and says "you filed but didn't pay on time" I have no paperwork to show otherwise.  I have TT telling me I owe "$.' and to send a 1040-V that TT never generated.  I'd really like for my PDF file (which I keep for my records) to print correctly -- even the summary page.  My actual tax forms look correct.

In my own I discovered the "Federal Information Worksheet" form that does show to debit my account and shows the amount and account number; this doesn't save when you save to PDF; (generates a nice indexed PDF).  Instead I have to print to PDF which is less desirable.

Called tech support.  4 separate agents, two who contacted "agent support" (who suggested I switch PDF readers).  Yeah that was pointless.

So posting this here in case others hit this or in case somebody in authority at TT can take a look at it.

Net:  I owe money.  I filed online and told TT to debit my bank account.  The filing instructions (page 1 of PDF) for Federal on Mac shows completely wrong info.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

@Ramias wrote:

I used TT Premier on the Mac desktop.  I owed taxes.  Told TT to debit from my checking account on April 8th.  Yes, I understand the IRS is behind and have not done this yet.  Fine.

Page 1 of the PDF file generated by TT has a section for Balance Due/Refund.  It has a similar summary cover page for my State Taxes which is correct (shows account/routing number, amount, date).

For Federal, it only shows:

Balance Due/ Refund

"Your federal tax return (Form 1040) shows a balance due of $. Mail your completed Form 1040-V with included payment made payable to the | United States Treasury by May 17, 2021. Make sure you sign your check and write your social security number and "Form 1040-V" on the check."

That is an exact copy of the text.  "$."  And my return has no 1040-V.  Now, if the IRS had already taken the money from my account I wouldn't sweat this and be fine.  Since the IRS has broken systems, I am concerned about this TT bug.  See, if the IRS comes to me and says "you filed but didn't pay on time" I have no paperwork to show otherwise.  I have TT telling me I owe "$.' and to send a 1040-V that TT never generated.  I'd really like for my PDF file (which I keep for my records) to print correctly -- even the summary page.  My actual tax forms look correct.

Called tech support.  4 separate agents, two who contacted "agent support" (who suggested I switch PDF readers).  Yeah that was pointless.

So posting this here in case others hit this or in case somebody in authority at TT can take a look at it.

Net:  I owe money.  I filed online and told TT to debit my bank account.  The filing instructions (page 1 of PDF) for Federal on Mac shows completely wrong info.

The instruction only applies if you are paying by check and mailing.    {Printing the return assumes mailing.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I've used TT for two decades and e-filed every time.

I can go back year after year and the printed, archived PDF always has the correct instructions showing the summary and the efile info with account numbers and proper amounts; the state e-file page halfway through my PDF (Saved for my records) shows the correct info.

@Ramias wrote:

I've used TT for two decades and e-filed every time.

I can go back year after year and the printed, archived PDF always has the correct instructions showing the summary and the efile info with account numbers and proper amounts; the state e-file page halfway through my PDF (Saved for my records) shows the correct info.

If you save to PDF prior to e-fileing it will show the "File by mail" instructions, if after e-fileing and accepted, then it will show the e-file instructions.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I e-filed two weeks ago.  State took its money.  Both federal and state were accepted.

I print the PDF today and the page is labeled e-file instructions and shows the “$.” and 1040-V info.

How are you printing it?

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 9.31.05 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 9.32.18 PM.jpg

Save to PDF.  It generates the indexed PDF.

file print has the same wrong page.  

This is from the PDF after doing File/Save to PDF or File Print (and saving the print output as PDF).  Keep in mind, I've already filed and told it to debit electronically.  There's no 1040-V generated by TurboTax in my PDF file.  This is from page 1 of my tax returns.

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 9.25.55 AM.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies