Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

Were these forms from the same broker or different? 

Sooz
Level 3

Same broker/payer/amounts, different fund source for the same payer. 

same scenario happened last year, only it wasn’t a problem because I filed by mail instead of e-file. 

I have the same amount from different brokers. 

Different amounts from the same broker and different payees. Still rejected.

Last year I had the same amounts from different brokers and different amounts from the same broker and there was no problem. Return was accepted.

This is why I think it is TurboTax problem. 

Sooz
Level 3

Regardless of which side the problem it’s on, the cause is the same - duplicate entries based on what they deemed necessary to call it “unique”.  

My guess is that what they consider “unique” is FEIN (payer ID number) plus distribution amount, and possibly tax withheld. That isn’t enough pieces of information to make it unique.

I don’t think the taxable amount matters here - at least in my case I only added the penny to the distribution amount and it worked.

I have three 1099-R. Two have the same FEIN (same broker but different amounts and different social security (different payees). 

The third 1099-R from another broker has the same amount as one of the other two but also different payee.

So, in my case all three are different in every conceivable way.  All those ket elements are unique.

Still I got duplicates reject. 

Mine too was accepted by making the 1 penny change.

I had 5 total 1099R's, but only 2 had same payer and same amount (different payees).  I changed 1 of them by a penny and the system took it.

The other 3 were all from the same payer to the same payee, so I originally thought that was the issue, but they had different amounts already. 

More description of what is considered 'duplicate' would be really helpful, if anybody from TurboTax is reading these posts.

I also added penny to one of 1099-R and return was accepted.

This is amazing because these two returns with the same amounts have different payers and different payees!

ki19
Level 1

Well hallelujah that others are having the same problem, I was going crazy the last 24 hours after I filed yesterday and got rejected, trying to figure this out!   Thanks to all the posters !   

Will monitor this thread to see if turbotax or IRS offer a real resolution (filing by paper is ridiculous!), but I'll see if  the "add a penny solution" keeps working for people.  

Sooz
Level 3

Hi everybody - to those of you who used the “add a penny” method to get your e-file to transmit successfully:

Remember this isn’t a “fix” but rather a temporary workaround. Only time will tell if the IRS decides that your return doesn’t match the info provided by your payer (yes, they do match the two to make sure we didn’t forget to report anything). Please hang onto your documentation along with your filing copy for your records in case questions come up later.

One penny added to zero cents will not affect the dollar amount when it’s rounded, nor will it affect the tax amount due. So, all should be OK - but just in case!

This is absolutely correct. The IRS will match info it received from brokers with our returns. I don’t think that this kind of mismatch will cause an audit. Now I am thinking that it is not TT problem because some other e-filers have it too. So, if is IRS problem we should be fine. 

The 1099-R box 1 amount is rounded to the closest dollar.     If 49 cents or less it is zero, if 50 cents or more it adds $1.  

Unless there is box 4 tax withheld then the IRS only gets the whole dollar amounts on the 1040 line 4 or 5 - nothing else on a 1099-R goes to the IRS.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If that's the case, why was mine rejected for duplicate 1099Rs?  Box 4 is blank on all my 1099R forms when viewed in form view. 

This sounds like a bug in TurboTax transmitting 1099R data when it doesn't need to.

Nothing on a 1099-R goes to the IRS if no box 4 and the IRS will not reject for a duplicate 1099-R.  All IRS rejects will have a reject code that identifies the form and reason in the code.

It is probably an internal TurboTax check to prevent accidentally submitting duplicate amounts that has been a problem in the past when a user enters a 1099-R and also imports from the financial institution.  Two 1099-R's will be reported.

I have not seen this in the past so it might be something new.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thanks for your replies, apologies for sounding like I'm directing things at you. 

This is the exact message I received:

What this means:
The IRS has found the following problems with your return:

• Unfortunately, we've noticed your return may have included duplicate Form 1099-R information. Please login to TurboTax in order to resolve this issue before we can e-file your accurate return.
  • Unfortunately, we've noticed your return may have included duplicate Form 1099-R information. Please login to TurboTax in order to resolve this issue before we can e-file your accurate return.

So it sounds like the rejection message is also incorrect if this is a check on the TurboTax side before transmitting. 

How do we raise this issue with Intuit to get it resolved?

@tomkiley wrote:

How do we raise this issue with Intuit to get it resolved?

Customer support.

There is no single published number because it changes contently depending on the nature of the call and agent availability. Following the link below will either give a current number for you to call or take your number for a callback.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies