Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

I called Turbo Tax, got a case number, got with a Turbo Tax Agent, they had me remove one of the "duplicate" 1099-R and then add it back in and then refiled.  I just got my rejection for duplicate 1099-Rs.  Turbo Tax needs to fix this issue.  Some folks have tried to trick the system by adding a penny or some other small amount that will be lost in rounding.  I am not in the habit of lying to the IRS.

TURBO TAX - HELP US

I have been using Turbo Tax since 1996.  This is the last year.

Zwez

I experienced the same problem with my tax filing for 2020. My wife and I took out investments from the a company years ago on the same date for the same amount, so both have identical annual income. I have reported this investment on my tax forms for numerous years using TurboTax and never experienced a problem with my return being rejected until this year. After making sure that the both investments were attributed properly to each of us with correct identification, I decided to try adding one penny to the value of one of the investments. Within hours I received notification that my 2020 tax return was accepted. I hope that this solution will be of help to others experiencing tax returns being rejected due to seemingly "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

Thank you so much.  It is ovbious that TT really isn't trying to solve this issue so my next step is to add a penny and give it a try.  Like you I have been filing with Turbo Tax for years and the last three years the IRS took the to identical IRAs but something is different this year.  I will let everyone know how it goes.  Calling TT agains really isn't an option.  

3dimension
Returning Member

This must be a bug in the Turbotax software. I have the exactly same problem. I have been rejected four times!!. Thanks to the tip from this forum's discussion, I will follow "adding one penny" method and refile again. Cross my fingers.

TUBROTAX, PLEASE FIX YOUR BUG!! 

Rl196919
Returning Member

•  

[PII image removed]

Turbo Tax Friends.

I gave in an changed one of my 1099-R forms by adding a penny.  I submtted it a fourth time and it was accepted in 13 minutes!!!!!

No thanks to Turbo Tax.

It works!  

NASABob

Taxcat7720
Returning Member

I am so glad I found this post. I was going mad. I called and actually talked to someone and they just tried to walk me through the whole thing. Like everyone else, my husband and I have the same exact amounts on a 1099R from a Roth IRA from the same payee. I deleted the forms and resubmitted. Rejected again and again. 

Yesterday afternoon I submitted the return again after adding .01 to one of the 1099R's. Fingers crossed waiting for acceptance.

Update:

:(  Just got rejected again. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

There's any number of ways to make the 1099-Rs that are being treated as duplicate different. 
For one of the 1099-Rs: 

• enter a date in Box 13 

• enter an account number 

• change the zip code in the payers address to point to some other city. 

• enter an amount in box 8 

• enter an amount in box 17 or 19 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry CatinaT1 but I tried changing other fields and it did not work. Read the entire thread. If 2 or more 1099s have the same amount, regardless of account numbers, brokers, etc. the file is rejected.

the amounts must be DIFFERENT

From what people are seeing, this is an issue with TurboTax internal consistency check before it sends the information to IRS and states.  I have seen threads in other years related to this.  It would be nice if TurboTax acknowledges this issue even if they cannot/are not able to fix this for this year.  

Sooz
Level 3

@CatinaT1  -

what makes these forms visually distinct usually seems not to matter to TT in this case. For example, my two “duplicates” had (1) a different 2nd line of the Payor Name, and (2) had different account numbers.

The penny trick worked for me.

Taxcat7720
Returning Member

So disappointed, the .01 did not work for me.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Try $1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
killick
Returning Member

Here's another report of success within an hour of submission by adding 1 cent to one of our 1099-Rs. We had two identical amounts in two different Roth conversions. Tried a couple of different things; delete a form and re-enter it, double check all entries, but  still got rejected. I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a fix by TT with all the reports out there on this issue. What say you @GabiU ?

E

My software (loaded from CD) is current with regards to updates. The "duplicate" 1009-R forms are NOT duplicates, but two of the five used (all from the same payer FEIN) do have the same distribution amount and tax withheld. However, each of the five has a unique Line 2 of the Payer's Name, and the Account number in Box 12 for each is unique. Prior years' e-filings have had this same situation and e-file has never failed before. Is this an issue on the IRS end of things, or a bug in the TurboTax file submitted to  them?  Obviously the internal identifier for each doesn't include all the unique identifiers for each of the six forms, but I can't tell from here if it's on the submitting end, or the receiving end of the e-file process.

-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.
My software (loaded from CD) is current with regards to updates. The "duplicate" 1009-R forms are NOT duplicates, but two of the six used (all from the same payer FEIN) do have the same distribution amount and tax withheld. However, each of the six has a unique Line 2 of the Payer's Name, and the Account number in Box 12 for each is unique. Prior years' e-filings have had this same situation and e-file has never failed before. Is this an issue on the IRS end of things, or a bug in the TurboTax file submitted to them? Obviously the internal identifier for each doesn't include all the unique identifiers for each of the six forms, but I can't tell from here if it's on the submitting end, or the receiving end of the e-file process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies