Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

[e-file rejected after tax deadline] How do I correct a depedent issue?

Turbo tax e-file rejected after tax deadline. The reason Turbotax application gave was I claimed a dependent who mistakenly put down, "not a dependent", on their own tax return which they have already submitted. It seems TurboTax is saying there are only two ways for me to proceed, either:

1. e-file via Turbotax removing the dependent from my tax return OR
  2. Physically mail in my tax return leaving the dependent on my return

My questions are:

1. I want to be able to file correctly via e-file and avoid physical mail, how can I make that happen? This is my idea so far:
    1. Have the dependent amend their tax return by listing themselves as a depedent and submit it.   Will doing this edit allow me to correctly file via e-file keeping the dependent on my tax return? In otherwords, I only have to re-submit my tax return with no changes made. 
  2. How do I avoid any pentalies given this return was rejected after the tax deadline?  This is what I've looked at so far: 
    1. In the situation that your tax return is rejected after the tax deadline, I've read several soucrres online that claim the IRS gives 5 or 7 days from the day youre return is rejected to resubmit your tax return. How long do I have before I might incur any penalties? And are there any circumstances where they could waive any penalites for my situation? 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sorry you have to mail your return, even if they amend.  So you don't have to wait to mail it.  Once a ssn has been used you can't efile it again.  How to mail a return from the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

They have to amend.  How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for filing late.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies