Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RJ6Grey
Returning Member

e-file reject

I efiled our 2021 taxes in April 2022 and they were returned because of duplicate use of dependents.

Turned out my ex-husband used wrong ones. I refiled mailing in return explaining issues,copies of childs ss cards, divorce papers,etc. As of this date have heard nothing from IRS. I have a refund coming and would like to find out if they are processing return or if something happened to it. Have tried IRS website with no success.

Can you tell me how to contact IRS or what other steps I should take.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

e-file reject

The IRS is severely backlogged with 2021 and 2022 tax returns not yet processed.

Go to this IRS website for the status of filed tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of July 8, 2022, we had 11.2 million unprocessed individual tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 1.9 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 9.3 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

e-file reject

Nothing is wrong.  The IRS is taking a very long time this year, especially for mailed returns.  Plan on waiting 6 months or more.  Just be patient.  

e-file reject

You'll need to be patient.  the IRS is far behind in processing paper returns. many are taking 6 months or more. until the IRS gets to it and enters it into its system for processing it doesn't even know it has it. 

keep trying the WMR website.

you can call 800-824-1040 but likely you'll have trouble getting through and even if you reach an agent, until it's entered into the system the agent won't be able to provide any info and may even tell you it has not been received.

800-829-1040
First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4

if successful you might get through to an agent. 

e-file reject

@Mike9241 - I note you keep suggesting that OPs call the IRS, but the IRS website states "do not call" - see bold red.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#coll...

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before January 2022 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

@RJ6Grey - figure it will be 6-9 months from the time you paper filed until the IRS procesed your return. Just be patient! 

e-file reject

@NCperson the IRS has multiple pages that don't agree with each other

https://www.irs.gov/refunds 

e-file reject

@Mike9241 - but the OP mailed the return and it hasn;t been six months.... IRS states "do not call"

When Should You Call the IRS?

You should call us only if:

• It's been 21 days or more since you e-filed
  • It’s been more than 6 months since you mailed your paper return
  • Where's My Refund says we can provide more information to you over the phone
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies