Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Downloading last years tax info or info not showing.

I filled last years taxes through Turbo Tax.  I have a .tax2022 file saved on my computer.  When I go to file this year.  When looking for last years tax information it says, "Good News! We found your tax info" and shows me the .tax2022 file.  When I hit Transfer Return.  It runs the file saying it is transferring the information, but nothing transfers.  No personal or tax information transfers.  After going through and entering this years info.  At the end it show my expected return this year and that last year I had $0 for a return.  Which I definitely know I got a return.

I thought maybe the file was bad and looked up how to download the file.  It tells me to log into turbotax online but I don't get any of the options to navigate.  I am stuck in the Turbotax FREE website and only gives me options to start filing this years tax return.

So looking to get last years file.  I have purchased and installed Deluxe.

Any help would be great.  I am just trying to get my taxes done.  Thank you for the assist.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

See if you have any other .tax2022 files on your computer.  Are you on Windows?  There might be a file starting with a ~ sign.

The ~ is a tilde file. Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted. But now Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like if your file gets corrupted or lost or your computer crashes. Then you can go back. If you can't transfer from the regular file you can transfer from the ~ file.

Find your Tax file in Windows
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Did you use the Desktop program last year for 2022 or the Online version?  

Here's an idea. Do you still have 2022 installed? Try opening 2022 program and see if you can get your 2022 return to show up in it. Go to FILE - OPEN. And see if that is the right one.

In the 2022 program do a File-Save AS and give it a easy name you can find or search for. And note where it saves it or select where to save it so you can find it again. The file will end in .tax2022. Then close the 2022 program. Then start a new 2023 return and transfer from the 2022 file.

I did use desktop last year and still have the 2022 version installed.  I tried it but it's won't load it either.  It's making me start a brand new tax return.

See if you have any other .tax2022 files on your computer.  Are you on Windows?  There might be a file starting with a ~ sign.

The ~ is a tilde file. Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted. But now Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like if your file gets corrupted or lost or your computer crashes. Then you can go back. If you can't transfer from the regular file you can transfer from the ~ file.

Find your Tax file in Windows
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Thank you so much for this.  I found that file.  It was still on my computer and it loaded everything. 

Thank you again!

Yeah!  Thanks for posting back and letting me know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies