Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

babygirl97865
Returning Member

domestic partner imput change

Hi, 

I got married in march 2017. However before that i had my fiance listed as my domestic partner with my employee on the insurance benefits website. 

I had emailed my HR department one month prior to my marriage and asked them if i need to update them and if there is any difference in my coverage whether which way they are listed. - they said no there is no diff in coverage. However they failed to inform me that his portion would be taxed as income as a domestic partner and still would be costing more on my deductions. However i let my payroll department know of the change within thirty days. So they are saying that because i did not update it on  a particular website that HR uses - the change did not take place and i was still paying additional taxes as a domestic partner on my account. So this went on for about two years until i found out what that truly means and that i was paying much more than i should have been. 

Is there anyway i can still recover that money from the IRS or my employer as of today?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

domestic partner imput change

Sounds like you issue is with your employer and what they are reporting as income -

If your employer withheld additional taxes that would have flushed out on April 15 each year
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies