Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does E-file use PIN or not?

I'm filing my tax return for the first time in my life.  I got rejected with the reason "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records".  I retried with AGI=0.  Got rejected again with the same reason.  I tried to clear the PIN from TurboTax but it won't allow me to do so.  A self-selected PIN is required to do e-filing on TurboTax.

Based on this link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/why-the-irs-discontinued-the-e-file-pin-and-what..., it sounds like "IRS Discontinued the E-file PIN"?  If that's the case, why TurboTax 2022 still asked for a PIN?

In the article above, it says "No 2021 return or PIN? No problem. First-time filers over the age of 16 can verify their identity by entering a previous AGI of zero".  I believe I fall under this scenario.  I'm a first time filer.  I'm over the age of 16.  I don't have a 2021 return.  I put AGI = 0 for 2021.  Why it was still rejected?  Shall I contact IRS to retrieve my PIN?  Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

There are a couple of options to resolve this Rejection code.  For further assistance, please see this Help Article.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!  I've read that article (and 30+ other ones), and spent more than 2 hours on the phone with TurboTax support.  No solutions.

It looks like there are two different PINs?  One is called IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN).  The other one is called signature PIN.  TurboTax does not distinguish these two.  That's causing the confusion (and issue).

sorry if TurboTax support in two hours can't tell you what I already told you in three sentences in my earlier replies to your other posts.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please check out the FAQ here regarding the IP Pin needed. 

If you need additional assistance, please let us know. @Helloguys 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies