Do I receive a refund if I was hurt at work and I ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I receive a refund if I was hurt at work and I am receiving workers compensation?

I was hurt may 12 2020. Will I receive a tefund?
2 Replies
Level 15

Do I receive a refund if I was hurt at work and I am receiving workers compensation?

Well--worker compensation is not taxable so no tax has been withheld from it.  You do not even enter it on a tax return.  If you have had any other source(s) of income with tax withheld then you might be able to get a tax refund.  Did you receive the 1st  stimulus check?  If not then we can tell you how to go about filing a 2020 return for the recovery rebate credit to get the 1st and 2nd stimulus checks.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 15

I just re-read your question--- it sounds like you worked for part of the year--so that suggests you will receive a W- 2 from your employer for the wages earned before your injury.  So you will be able to enter that W-2 on a 2020 return.    Depending on the amount of tax withheld and the other variables like your filing status, dependents, credits you are eligible for, etc. you could receive a tax refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings