turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report my HRA in my tax return?

I have a Shared Deductible Plan (HRA) from my employer.

Do I need to report anything for this health plan on the 1040 form?

Does it qualify for any deductible?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, you do not need to report anything on your Form 1040 with regard to your HRA (Health Reimbursement Arrangement). 

Since the HRA is fully funded by your employer, the funds are not a deduction on your return.  You also do not pay taxes on any reimbursements you receive from the account. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, you do not need to report anything on your Form 1040 with regard to your HRA (Health Reimbursement Arrangement). 

Since the HRA is fully funded by your employer, the funds are not a deduction on your return.  You also do not pay taxes on any reimbursements you receive from the account. 

vern6

Should I include all medical expenses including the ones I am reimbursed for and then subtract the ones that I get reimbursed from the total or only report the expenses that I am not reimbursed for

vern6

What I am trying to determine is whether to subtract the expenses that the HRA reimburses me for, before or after entering total medical expenses?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Only include the medical expenses that you did not get reimbursed for.  Subtract before entering. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This thread is confusing me. I understand that if my insurance company reimburses for a medical expense (a fairly rare occurrence), I subtract that from what I paid out of pocket by entering the total of such reimbursements. The TurboTax prompting specifically asks about *insurance companies*.

However, one of the answers on this thread (marked as Best) says that HRA reimbursements (of premiums, etc.) do not need to be entered in TurboTax, as they are not taxable.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

No, you don't have to enter the amount you were reimbursed for your medical insurance premiums into TurboTax separately.

However, subtract the amount you were reimbursed from the amount you enter for Medical Insurance Premiums if you are reporting Medical Expenses. 

If your reimbursement was for Part B or Part D Medicare Premiums (shown on Form SSA-1099) leave those amounts blank when entering your SSA-1099.

If this applies to you, click this link for more info on Reimbursed Medicare Premiums.

Thanks, this is helpful. I'm wondering how appropriate it would be to simply add the total HRA reimbursements as a response to the "insurance reimbursement" prompt in TurboTax, given they all address medical expenses reported earlier. That would save having to parse out which was a reimbursement for a doctor visit vs. a premium, etc.

Even better, could TT add a new prompt after the insurance one (or right up front) to ask the total HRA reimbursements for the year and simply deduct that in determining whether medical deduction is warranted?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You can claim the reimbursement at the insurance level or just do a percentage so as to not try to itemize reimbursement. The goal is to ensure that the amount is fully accounted for in the calculation.

Thank you for your suggestion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies