lkppls

Do I need to amend if after e-filing my taxes I noticed the dollar amounts on form 8949 I received don't match what printed on the form I'm supposed to mail to the IRS?

DianeW

Yes, you should amend your return to match the numbers if the net results of the sales or exchanges are different, and would increase or decrease your tax.  

Read the information below before you begin to amend your tax return so that all the original figures remain in tact before the changes.  Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  

The IRS does not allow E-file for these amended returns, they have to be printed and filed by mail.  Include a state amendment as well.

DianeW