Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rollocasanova
Returning Member

Do I have to pay taxes to the IRS if I've never worked in the US? I've been living in Mexico since I was 4, and have reported and paid my taxes here.

I'm not sure what steps are required in order to be elegible for retirement in the US.

As you earn money, you pay taxes, and you are elegible to receive benefits by Social Security.

If I've never paid taxes to the IRS I don't think I'm elegible to that, but want to amend this situation; is there some steps I could perform so I could still work outside of the US, and be elegible for benefits and retirements by Social Security?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Do I have to pay taxes to the IRS if I've never worked in the US? I've been living in Mexico since I was 4, and have reported and paid my taxes here.

Are you a U.S.citizen?  Why are you asking these questions?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you have never paid into social security you would receive no benefits unless you are the surviving spouse of someone eligible for payments. 

rollocasanova
Returning Member

Yes I am an American citizen.

Just wanted to know what would be the set of actions in order to become regular with the IRS (if that's possible).

I'm thinking about what would happen with the retirement; no paid taxes mean no retirement, so better late than never.

Asking this because I want to know if by paying the IRS the taxes I should paid in the past would make me elegible for retirement).

I've only worked in Mexico, and I've paid my taxes to the Mexican IRS equivalent.

rollocasanova
Returning Member

Yeah, that's something I know, just wanted to know if there's a way to retroactively pay for these taxes if there's the obligation to pay taxes to the IRS in my situation of never working in the US.

As I've always lived and worked in Mexico, I'm not fully aware of my responsibilities, but here I am trying to be even with the IRS, and hopefully in a future be elegible for retirement.

You do not mention your age or how many years you have been earning income.  As a U.S. citizen you are required to file a U.S. tax return and enter all of your worldwide income.   You are going to need help from another expert --- 

@pk

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

you are probably going to need to consult with a tax professional.

we don't know how many years you earned income while living in Mexico and each year stands on its own.

The tax laws provide that if you meet either the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test you would qualify to use the foreign earned income exclusion. Form 2555 IRC 911 and PUB 54. there is a maximum each year that can be excluded from taxation by the US. There may also be an exclusion or deduction for housing.  Foreign taxes paid on the excluded income do not qualify for the foreign tax credit. Income excluded for income tax purposes is subject to social security tax if work is performed outside of the US by a citizen of the US as an employee for an American employer, or regardless, if the work performed is recognized as employment under an agreement entered into under 233 of the Social Security Act (IRC 3121(b)) 

Use of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion is voluntary.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@rollocasanova , agreeing with the comments of my colleagues  { @xmasbaby0 , @Bsch4477  and @Mike9241 ), here is what  I would want to add to this discussion :

Please see this document  -- agreement between US and Mexico :

U.S.-Mexican Social Security Agreement | International Programs | SSA

Note that US and Mexico do not have a totalization agreement as such  and this stands in its place.

Is there more I can do for you ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies