cindydtax

discrepancy between what Turbotax says is refund and what is deposited

I filed my Turbotax 1040 and was supposed to get $5219 refund by direct deposit. Never saw that big deposit. Went to IRS and asked "where's my refund". They said it was deposited on August 25. I checked my bank statement and found the deposit from Turbotax for $154!  I can understand being charged for filing the return, but where is the other $5000. Who can I call to look into this? Is there a real person that  I can talk to?

Gracie_Alison

If you paid for your TurboTax with your tax refund, customer support can look and see what amount the IRS deposited for you. 

You can look yourself at IRS Where's My Refund.  

TurboTax did not deposit your refund.  The IRS did.  

Contact Customer Service

5am-5pm Pacific Time

Monday-Friday

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number

If the refund went from the IRS to the processing bank and after taking out the TT and bank processing fees the remainder is sent to you.   So if the bank kept some of the refund there must be a reason ... did you have an outstanding loan/advance?   Did you have a refund advance thru another income tax program?  

How much did the IRS actually send?  If they adjusted your return they will mail you a letter.

A common adjustment this year is if you claimed the Recovery rebate credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the Stimulus payment or got the second one after you filed or reported the wrong amounts or entered them in the wrong box.  Do you have an amount on line 30?