turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Peter4

"Did you take the standard deduction or itemized deduction in last year?" I've been using this for the last 10 years why won't the app automatic check? how do i check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ChristieB

"Did you take the standard deduction or itemized deduction in last year?" I've been using this for the last 10 years why won't the app automatic check? how do i check?

On your 2017 Form 1040, the deduction will be on Line 40. If the amount on this line is equal to the applicable amount in the bubble on the left-hand side of your Form 1040 (unless you or your spouse were born before 1953 or are legally blind - see Line 39), then you received the Standard Deduction. If it is larger than the amount on the left for your filing status, then you itemized your deductions. If you Itemized, you should also have a Schedule A included with your tax return. 

Peter4

Why won't the app just import from last year line 40 instead of ask. It could import every other things else.

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.

You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend because a TurboTax update changes your return.
OR, to answer turbotax questions about it next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies