Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxhelpneeded12341
Returning Member

Chronic under withholding due to bonus

The last three years, I have owed in the low five figures of taxes, mostly due to a large bonus being taxed at 22%, while I am actually in a higher tax bracket than that.  I also have about 20K in dividends and interest, with no withholding on that.  But the issue is mostly due to the bonus.  Each of the last two years, I have submitted a new W4, but it didn't really make a dent, obviously I didn't do enough.   Somehow the last two years, I have not had an underpayment penalty.  My luck ran out this year, and I have a $120 underpayment penalty.  TurboTax estimated an amount of estimated taxes that exceeded my tax liability this year by 8K, so I don't want to do that. I played around with the numbers and got it down to pretty close to my liability this year, which I hope is enough to avoid a penalty or make it very small.  I don't yet know what my bonus or dividends will be, so I run a risk of overpaying.  

This feels really weird to me ... like 93% of my income is W2 income.  Is it common among higher earners to have to pay estimated taxes?  I file head of household and am above income limits on almost everything, but a look at what the tax table would be if I were married and this was my married income is pretty irritating!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

if you get a year end bonus you have until Jan 15 to notice that and make an Estimated Tax payment.

Usually a bonus goes on your W-2 and your withholding schedule  (W-4) should take care of it.

See Form 2210 for the various parameters that can result in a penalty and how to avoid that.

Once you are penalized, that is motivation to study the form more carefully.

See W-4 Line 4(c) to have extra withholding.

@taxhelpneeded12341 

There is a rule to avoid penalties based on the prior year's tax. it seems like your 2022 adjusted gross income was over $150K. then this rule says that 2023 estimates and withholding must be 110% of the 2022 tax to avoid penalties regardless of what the 2023 taxes are.   so if 2022 AGI is over $150K and taxes are $80K you must pay in a total of $88K to avoid penalties should your 2023 taxes be more than that.  you would not owe underpayment penalties even if your liability zoomed to $1 million. if 2023 taxes are less then you've overpaid and get a refund. 

######################

another rule to avoid underpayment penalties is to timely pay in 90% of that year's tax. so if the 2023 tax was $90 the required timely payments are $81K. the obvious problem with this is you really don't know what your 2023 taxes will be until you prepare your return. 

@Mike9241 

You are required to estimate your 2023 taxes, now, well before you file your 2023 tax return.

if you want to use the prior year tax rule, you will know your prior year tax by  April 18, 2023, which is the deadline for the first 2023 Estimated Tax payment.

To avoid any penalty, pay, through withholding + estimated tax, 25% of this amount (times 1.1 for high earners), each period.

taxhelpneeded12341
Returning Member

I know what the rule is; the problem is figuring out amounts.  Bonuses are paid in June.  I have no idea what they will be.  Because of that, I don't actually know what my withholding will be either.  It would be easier if I could wait until after the bonus.  

I think  I can annualize my income if I scour bank statements and brokerage statements for when interest and dividends are paid. I guess what I could do is do that for the first quarter, compare to my paystubs and make sure I am not under withheld for the first quarter -- except now that I am writing out what I would try to do, I still wouldn't know, bc I wouldn't expect to be withholding 25% of expected tax in either the first or second quarter.  Maybe I should do nothing until the third quarter when the bonus is paid out, and then go back and check everything out, because then I do need to be at 75% at a minimum.  And then I would have to annualize within Turbotax.  I think I am talking myself into this, but also maybe thinking I should get an accountant going forward, I don't know.  I am willing to undertake some difficulty to do this (I mean, I probably spent an hour figuring out how to deal with the $300 of foreign tax that came through my international index fund, which should be another thing that it is easier, because that is a very normal and straightforward type of fund to hold!), but it is really hard when I don't have concrete numbers to deal with.

I guess a related lament is why that bonuses are under withheld?  Like, at least optionally, why can't they withhold at the same rate as the rest of my checks?  I did ask payroll, and they said, no 22% is all they can do.  I feel like this should be a common enough issue that I would hear about it from others at work, but I'm guessing if you file married, there is a lower percentage of this happening.

You can try changing the W-4 on file with your employer ... choose the SINGLE filing status ( Not the HOH)  and enter an amount on line 4A that represents your non wage income  and put an amount on line 4C of your choosing to make up any shortfall that you believe you will have. 

Try  the IRS tool here : https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies