Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kruud
Returning Member

Cannot amend 2023 return filed with TurboTax Desktop/Win due to bug

I just received a late 1099-NEC and need to amend my return. In previous years this worked but on 2023 if I select amend and add the missing form, when I get to the file stage it does not let me e-file since I have "already e-filed". I can print a return but it does not have the 1040-X and warns me not to mail a return that has been e-filed (it is trying to submit as a fresh return rather than an amend). It also is not updating the refund amount correctly, it is showing my total refund and not the new refund/payment.
Is this a known issue and is there any way to fix it?

TurboTax Deluxe

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Make sure you are following these steps.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kruud
Returning Member

Thanks for the instructions. I am selecting the amend option but when it takes me into the program it still has the old refund amount on top and the file status is just giving the information for the initial return. I think this is a bug with the software since I have been able to amend in previous years

LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

You should try to clear the cache and cookies, this handles many issues that seem nonsensical on a regular basis.  First close your return and follow the steps below to see that you need to do depending on the version of TurboTax you are using:

• If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.
    • You can also try using a different browser
  • If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.
    • Make sure you have ran all the updates

@kruud 

kruud
Returning Member

I am using TurboTax desktop on Windows. I tried installing to my Mac too but got the same problem, when I select "amend", the return value does not go to zero and it continues the normal return process instead of an amended return. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

The refund meter does not always reset to zero when you start an amended return.

Make sure you are running the latest version of the software. For Windows Desktop. You can try using the directions in this help article, which asks that you close all applications except the browser window with the help article.

neiloy
Returning Member

I have the same problem,

I just received a very late 1099 NEC.

I owed money to the IRS at the end of the ear which I paid with my original return  (I owed tax rather than received a refund). When I go in and amend the return and only add the additional 1099 NEC, the calculations from TurboTax become crazy. TurboTax should tell me I need to pay the additional federal tax on the additional 1099 NEC income.

Crazily, it moved all of my estimated tax payments into an overpayment column and now suggest that I should get a large refund even though my income went up with the additional 1099 NEC and actually I owe the tax balance on that NEC.

Please help.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Use the instructions in the link below (choose your platform).

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download     @neiloy 

neiloy
Returning Member

Hello,

I have done these exact steps.

When it starts to create the amended return on form 1040-X it immediately moves all of my previous estimated tax payments on line 13 of the 1040 X into the "net change come" and then at the top of the program it starts to say I have a very large refund. This is before I have entered anything such as the late 1099 NEC.

This seems to be a glitch/bug.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

To create an accurate Form 1040X, you need to start from a point at which Column A matches your original return and Column B shows no changes. 

We would like to look into what is happening with your tax return. Please send us a sanitized version of your tax return. Here's how to do that:

1. Open your return.
  2. Select Online from the TurboTax menu in the black bar.
  3. Select Send tax file to agent.
  4. You will see a brief explanation of what is in the file.
  5. Select Send.
  6. Make note of the token number.
  7. Respond in this thread with the token number. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies