turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrockp117

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to put in "line or box num" and "form schedule" squares for amending a tax return with a second w2?

I'm trying to amend my tax returns because my current work didn't send me my W2 until a couple weeks ago and I had already filed my previous job's W2 cause TurboTax kept sending me emails saying "file your taxes, file your taxes, file your taxes" and I succumbed to pressure and didnt know i couldnt file two W2s separately

So, I've gotten all through it on TurboTax, but now I'm at a part where it's telling me "Form 2: Line or Box Num must be entered." and "Form 2: Form or Schedule must be entered." but I have no idea what to put in these boxes, I've been looking around for the last hour and can't find anything about this, nothing is coming up when I type in these questions or "TurboTax form schedule line box amended return information", I just want to get this done I hate hate hate hate working with taxes cause I always think im doing something wrong and I don't want to go to prison just because I don't know what I'm doing, I just want to add my new current job w2 with my previous job w2. I've looked up e-filing and TurboTax says it does e-filing for amended returns but whenever I skip these boxes it tells me they DONT do e-filing and I'm just so confused and upset and I don't know what to do
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to put in "line or box num" and "form schedule" squares for amending a tax return with a second w2?

1. You can't file an amended return until the finances are settled from the first return.

2. You should have saved your original return. 

3. Then you selected that you needed to amend the return. 

4. Then you add the w2. 

5. Check the entry for refund received and be sure the amount matches what you actually received. 

6. Then you file federal and state, if needed.

The only form 2 you would have is the new w2. Perhaps you are missing an entry on the form. Review your entries. You may need to delete the  new w2 and enter it again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I read the reply to this question and need some clarification as I am getting nowhere.

IRS has my return from 2022 and has yet to process it and because summer and life got crazy last year, I failed to continue to follow up with it as the refund wasn't that big.

Now I cannot get a real person to talk to at the IRS and keep getting the runaround with their voice promts as it keeps sending me to the website that gives zero information. Turbo tax told me to amend my return and re-file it. Now I am stuck as there is nothing to amend and I am needing to add information for these requests and have no idea what to put in there as there is no new information for my return. 

I am ready to scream.

@jostinleeforsythe 

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

View solution in original post

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies