Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my wife and I file a different status on our state return than we do on our federal return? We get a much larger state return by filing separately on same return for state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Can my wife and I file a different status on our state return than we do on our federal return? We get a much larger state return by filing separately on same return for state.

Yes, you may.  I know of two states that have this filing status, Arkansas and Kentucky.  It is not only legal but encouraged for a married couple to file married filing separately on a combined return, especially when both of you have income.  This way, you each get at least the standard deduction and also (potentially) a lower tax bracket for your separate incomes.  This is because these two states do not have a separate tax table for joint filers.  So, if this is your situation, you are absolutely correct to file separately on a combined return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may.  I know of two states that have this filing status, Arkansas and Kentucky.  It is not only legal but encouraged for a married couple to file married filing separately on a combined return, especially when both of you have income.  This way, you each get at least the standard deduction and also (potentially) a lower tax bracket for your separate incomes.  This is because these two states do not have a separate tax table for joint filers.  So, if this is your situation, you are absolutely correct to file separately on a combined return.

Exactly what I was looking for. I am in Arkansas, so this fits for me. Thank You!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your more than welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies